Sunday, April 1, 2012

"One Day" is Today



I arrived home on a spring day gazing at the scene above - my front yard.  I was feeling tired.  I walked to the swing and sat down, exhaustion overtaking me.  My birthday was coming up and I was on the downward slope of 35.  Where did the time go but more important what have I done with my life?

Don't get me wrong, I have much of which to be proud.  I am a mother of a gifted 6-year-old who is beyond special. I help soldiers begin and complete their higher educational goals.  I have been married for 16 years to a man I still love.  I am working on a Master of Science degree.  I would say my life has been successful but the feeling of defeat was still sucking me down to its never-ending cracks of despair.

Then I catch myself saying, "One day I will accomplish XYZ," over and over again.  Well "One Day" has come and my lazy excuses to delay my goals are over.  I got up front the swing and went inside, popped open my laptop, and signed up for a writers conference in Colorado.  I have written three books that I want published.  I updated my website: www.hollyedavis.com.  And now I have started this Blog.


This poem was a direct reflection of how I felt that day:


Elderly of Any Age
By Hollye Davis

The warm February day belied winter
Floor leaves rustled from years of neglect
A gentle drip of water ripples in the pond
The rusted chains groan as the swing rocks

Thoughts culminate never to be nothings
And excitement blows away with the breeze
To nonexistent places, blame shadows swallow
Of the past remembrances forever forgotten

Death is inevitable as changes in wind glides
Age brings borrowed sorrow with lost youth,
Brittle bones, mental malfunctions, tired truth,
And lost personal promises through sickness

One day turns into someone else’s hopes
Dreams drown in the pond’s skimmed scum
Ducks paddle away from molested mangled
Thoughts beneath stones of regretful reasons

The sun peeks through a canopy of slotted sheets
Warmth spread through the cold bleak beneath
Touching light bringing pleasant painful points
Sharp stings of pleasure plucking the silky skin

Eyes see the green distance of heavenly hope
Yes, death is despair inevitable but blissful best
Triumphs over never to be properly prepared
The face posed to the blue beyond beckoning

To heaven help His wished blessings boast
No despair to ever wreak a beating heart heavy
For He will fill it with his winged ways
Fear never for He will favor faithful followers.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great blog start! I especially love the poem. I am looking forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Live today like it was your last. If more people in this world did that we wouldn't be so caught up in stupid, meaningless stuff. Life is meant to be lived! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete